Skip to main content

Travel and Reimbursement

The University will reimburse faculty, staff, students, and non-UCSD travelers for allowable expenses incurred when traveling on official University business. Please follow steps below.

Before You Travel

For Faculty and Students:

  1. Contact Debbie Kelly via email or in person to set up a trip by providing trip information, dates, index number and name of event.
  2. All travellers should Enroll in UC Trip Insurance. 
  3. Review UCSD Travel Policy Highlights.

For Students:

  1. Complete the UCSD Student Certification for Business-Related Travel form. Be sure to check the first box "Directly supports the faculty/PI project or research program" or the second box "Presenting at a conference." If second box is checked, attach a copy of the program listing your name and UCSD. Obtain your faculty advisor's signature.
  2. Complete the Field Operational Planner for your trip:
  • Urban Domestic Field Trips or Undergraduate Student Travel –   Online form
  • International Trips, Trips to Remote Areas, and/or trips involving special hazards (i.e. environmental, chemical, mechanical, etc.)    Word doc |  PDF

It must be submitted one month prior to your trip! Make sure your safety coordinator and department administrator have a copy of your plan before you go.

Please send a copy of your plan to an EH&S Field Safety coordinator for review. When a plan is submitted, the Field Safety coordinator will make recommendations for organizing a safe and productive trip.

Contact an EH&S Field Safety coordinator:

Research trips  (858) 534-7651 Mail Code: 0089
Non-research trips  (858) 534-6027 Mail Code: 0920
Risk Management/Insurance  (858) 534-3820 Mail Code: 0925

After You Travel

All receipts must be submitted before the payment will be authorized. All travel receipts are due within 14 days of trip completion.  Original receipts or electronic submissions are acceptable.


Reimbursements for Events, Honorarium and Other

Due to the revised UCOP Major Events Policy from Fall of 2017, department can no longer allow alcoholic beverages to be included as reimbursement or direct charge from any of the food outlet on UCSD property without 21 day prior approval from Academic Affairs.  This means the department need to be notified that there is an intention to purchase alcohol for any meetings or events prior to Academic Affairs 21 Day deadline in order for us to submit a request for review and approval.  Please contact Nancy Lee or Debra Kelly to submit request.  

Before the Event

  1. A W-9 is required to set up any new payees in the UC system. It is always required for outside visitors receiving honorarium. If you have already received reimbursements in the past then W-9 form is not needed.
  2. Create a sign in sheet with attendees and there affiation for the event. 

After the Event

  1. Submit sign in sheet with attendees and there affiliation for the event. 
  2. Submit all itemized receipts.
  3. Fill Event Reimbursement Form and send to Debbie Kelly via email or in person.


UCSD Dining Direct charge


Please complete a food/beverage recharge form and submit to Debbie Kelly via email or in person.