Anthropology Faculty & Grad Student Resources

This page is designed to serve as a place for faculty and grad students to come for resources and support.


Who should I contact for...

Staff Member Responsibilities

Nancy Lee

Department MSO

Management of departmental administrative functions including finance and budget, human resources, facilities and staff supervision.

Debbie Kelly

Administrative Assistant

Handles travel, reimbursements, facilities and general department issues, department safety coordinator.

Anita Wu

Academic Human Resources Analyst & DSA

Provides services to faculty, temporary lecturers, and other academic positions in the scope of academic personnel. Provides service in human resources such as payroll, timekeeping, and hiring. Also serves as DSA.  

Nikki Gee

Graduate Coordinator

Manages all aspects of the Ph.D. program, including admissions, TA and reader appointments, advancements, graduate support and scholarship awards.

Undergraduate Advisors

Advise students on program requirements, petitions and academic progress.

  • Instructional Support (OSD Exams, Desk Copies)

Student Workers

Social Sciences Computing Facilities (SSCF)

For desktop assistance, advice on equipment, etc., email Social Science Computing Facility (SSCF).

Reserving a room

For Department Space Reservations:

The Department of Anthropology can reserve the following rooms (based upon availability):

  • Spiro Library (SSB 269) - Capacity: 20
  • SSB 105 - Capacity: 20

To check the availablity and reserve one of these rooms please email

Please include the following in your request:

Date, Time, Room size needed or room preference and Reason for request

For Course Relatated Reservations:

Please contact

We will contact the registrar's office on your behalf to reserve space on campus.

Please include the following in your request:

Date, Time, Room size needed, Course number and Reason for request (e.g. course review session)

Single Sign On (SSO)

Single Sign-On (SSO) is a unique userid and password that authenticates identity and access rights and allows entry to a set of campus business systems/features including At Your Service (benefits), MyFunds (financial reports), Marketplace (purchasing), and TritonLink (student & course data).

New or Re-hired Employeesself-register for an account.

Current Employees: change your password or contact if your account isn't working.

Instructional Support

Useful links:

Submitting Grades

General Grading PolicyAcademic Senate Grading Policy

eGrades is a secure web-based application that allows instructors to submit or change final grades for the students in their courses. Read for more information.

If you have any remaining questions, comments, or concerns regarding eGrades, contact:

  • Academic Records
    • Phone: (858) 534-3144
    • E-mail:
    • Hours: Mon., Tues., Wed., Fri., 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Thurs. 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

or ACT Help Desk, (858) 534-1853

Incomplete Grades

Students may be eligible to request an incomplete if circumstances beyond their control are preventing them from completing a class. The deadline for filing a request for an incomplete shall be no later than the first working day after final examination week and the student must be of non-failing quality at the time of the request. 

The student and instructor should complete the Incomplete Form and submit it to the Anthropology Advisors. While in eGrades, enter the grade as "I" - a drop down box will appear where you can list the reason for the incomplete.

The student must complete the work by the date given by the instructor (this date can be no later than the last day of the next quarter's finals, excluding Summer Session.)  When you are ready to assign the final grade, simply sign in to eGrades and make a grade change. If the student does not complete the work, they will receive a permanent F, NP or U for the class.

Book Scanning Request

Faculty who need scans for their courses may:

1. Request scans from the library through course reserves (preferred)

2. Request scans from the department:

Please note that we will not scan whole books. Per Copyright Policy we are able to scan up to 25% of a book. Please allow for 1-2 weeks turn around time.

To request a department scan, complete the department scan request form and include with your book.

Creating New Courses

Anthropology Faculty who wish to create a new course need to submit the following form:

Once the form is submitted, the request requires Department approval and approval from the academic senate. Please submit requests 6+ months prior to the quarter you plan to teach the course. 

Schedule of Classes

General Timeline for Scheduling:

The Anthropology Department reaches out to faculty for course offerings and time preferences. Teaching time preferences are then proposed to the campus scheduling office which oversees scheduling requests for the entire campus and places the courses.

Typical scheduling request timeline:

  • Request for Fall teaching times sent out January.
  • Request for Winter teaching times sent out June.
  • Request for Spring teaching times sent out August.
  • Call for Summer proposals sent out October.

Also see: Schedule of Classes Publication Schedule 

Accessing Class List

In blink, under instruction tools, you can access your class list. You can also send messages to your class through this tool and see student photos.

Steps to download a Class List

  1. On Blink, go to the Instruction Tools tab located on the top navigation bar or in the Toolbox.
  2. Select Class Lists. You will be prompted to log-in through Single Sign-On.
  3. Input your course number.  
  4. Under Options select "Download" for Class List. Please note there is a column for class list and another one for wait list. Make sure you select the correct option.
  5. The next screen will have several downloadable options. Use the default selection which is "Standard".
  6. Under "File type" select either PC-File or Mac_File. Submit Download.
  7. The class list will be downloaded as a rich-text file. Copy and paste all the information in to an EXCEL spreadsheet. If your setting are different the document might automatically download as an EXCEL spreadsheet.
Steps to print a Class List: You also have the option of ONLY printing out your class list. Follow steps 1-4 from above. Then under Options select "Print Class Roster" for Class List and then click on the "Select Section" button right below. Please note there is a column for class list and another one for wait list. Make sure you select the correct option. On the next page there will be a link to print your class list. The list will be downloaded to your computer as a pdf document. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this information.

TritonEd Course Page

Textbooks & Desk Copies

Requesting Desk Copies:

If you need a desk copy of a textbook, please submit your request 3+ weeks before you need the book to allow for processing and shipping time. To request a desk copy, please complete the Desk Copy Request Form.

Book Adoption for Courses:

Submit your course materials to the UC San Diego Bookstore ideally by the end of Week 3 of the previous quarter (deadlines established by Bookstore). The Textbook Department will accept all late submissions, but please note that they may be subject to publisher out-of-stock conditions and other factors that may cause delays.

Course Book Loans - TAs/Readers
TAs and Readers are asked to contact the Undergraduate Advisor to  receive the text books for the courses they are employed. These books are strictly on loan and students will be asked to return the books at the end of the quarter.

Library Course Reserves

Course-related materials can be made available for students through the UCSD Libraries. Place items "on reserve" for a class such as: textbooks, journal articles, videos, book chapters, practice exams etc.


Educational Policy Committee Policies on Final Examinations

Final examinations may not be given at any time before examination week without explicit approval of EPC.

Take home papers must to be due the date/time of the scheduled final exam.

About Exams: Read about midterm exams, final exams, retention of exam papers and the processes that support exams.

Instructors must retain exam papers for at least one full quarter after the exam period, unless the papers have been returned to the students.

Department Exam Drop Box

  • Please do not direct students to submit paperwork in your mailbox.  The mailroom is not an appropriate place for undergraduate students.  Nor should you direct students to drop off exams in the front desk area.
  • The drop box is conveniently located outside where students may drop off exams securely 24/7.  Currently there is no time stamp, if this is an issue for your course, please let me know so we can discuss solutions.
  • We will check the drop box every day during finals week, but if you have another assignment due at a different time in the quarter, please let me know when the due date so that the drop box can be checked.

Department Final Exam Bins

  • Rather than distributing final exams after your course is over, we offer an alternative to handing back your own exams - Final Exam Bins - where exams from the previous quarter may be retrieved 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by your students.
    • Step 1: Provide your students with information about the Buckley Waiver and have them sign the waiver at the time of the exam. Advise them to pick up their exams from the 2th floor Final Exam Bins located between the administrative office and faculty office wing, by the elevator.
    • Step 2: Once your exams are graded and the grades are recorded, give your exams that have signed Buckley Waivers to the Undergraduate Coordinators, all exams with a signed Buckley Waiver will be placed in one of the cubbies.
    • Step 3: At the end of the quarter, exams from the previous quarter that have not been picked up will be shredded.

How to get students to sign the Buckley Waiver

  • Students sign the waiver that is printed on the back of the blue books purchase at the bookstore.
  • Students may write “Buckley Waiver” at the top of their exam/paper and sign their name below these words.
  • Embed the Buckley Waiver in your exam/paper.  You can use the electronic copy of the Buckley Waiver or there are hard copies available in the mailroom.

Teaching Assistants & Readers

Teaching Assistant: A teaching assistant (TA) assists in the instruction of an upper or lower division course at the University under the supervision of a faculty member. The TA primarily assists the faculty member in charge of the course by conducting discussion or laboratory sections that supplement faculty lectures and by grading assignments and examinations.

A TA may also assist with the development of assignments or exams, hold office hours and proctor examinations. In the case of basic language, reading and composition, some other skills-building courses, and a few other courses, a teaching assistant may lead the class meetings, but as with all other TAs, the general instructional content of the course, as well as the official assignment of student grades and decisions on grade appeals, are the responsibility of the faculty member in charge of the course. In no instance shall a teaching assistant be assigned responsibility for the entire instruction of a course.

Reader: A Reader assists a course instructor by grading homework, papers, or exams and may also hold office hours to answer students' questions about such assignments.


Students with Disabilities (OSD)

Accommodating Students with Disabilities

The Office for Students with Disabilities works with students who have documented disabilities and determines what reasonable accommodations we must provide for these students.

Students should bring the instructor and department offering the course an official Authorization for Accommodation form signed by the Office for Students with Disabilities, which describes the accommodations needed at the beginning of the quarter. Typically, students need additional time on exams and/or a quiet location to take the exam.

The undergraduate advisors can help with administering these exams. Advisors, faculty and students will collaborate to plan for accommodations.

Class Field Trips

Library Resources

Financial Support

Enrolling in Direct Deposit

Enrolling in Direct Deposit for UC San Diego Employees:

(includes Faculty, Staff, Teaching Assistants and Readers)

There are two methods of payment on campus: Payroll and Disbursements

  • Payroll pays faculty/staff/TA/Readerships employee salaries.
  • Disbursements pays stipends and/or any reimbursements.

To enroll in Payroll Direct Deposit, you have two options:

Important: Enrolling in Direct Deposit online may take upto 15 days to process. If you choose to submit a paper check/form to the department, the process time is within 2-3 business days.

To enroll in Disbursements Direct Deposit (reimbursements for Travel, Meetings, MyPayments, etc):

Non-Employee Grad Students:

Graduate students may enroll for both stipend direct deposit and disbursements (for reimbursements) through Tritonlink. You complete this one time unless your information changes.

  • Enroll online here.

Note: If you become employed by the university you will need to complete the payroll steps above.

Travel and Reimbursement

The University will reimburse faculty, staff, students, and non-UCSD travelers for allowable expenses incurred when traveling on official University business. Please follow steps below.

Before you travel

For Faculty and Students:

  1. Contact Debbie Kelly via email or in person to set up a trip by providing trip information, dates, index number and name of event.
  2. All travellers should Enroll in UC Trip Insurance. 
  3. Review UCSD Travel Policy Highlights.

For Students:

Complete the UCSD Student Certification for Business-Related Travel form.

Be sure to check the first box "Directly supports the faculty/PI project or research program" or the second box "Presenting at a conference." If second box is checked, attach a copy of the program listing your name and UCSD. Obtain your faculty advisor's signature.

Complete the Field Operational Planner for your trip:

  • Urban Domestic Field Trips or Undergraduate Student Travel –   Online form
  • International Trips, Trips to Remote Areas, and/or trips involving special hazards (i.e. environmental, chemical, mechanical, etc.)    Word doc |  PDF

It must be submitted one month prior to your trip! Make sure your safety coordinator and department administrator have a copy of your plan before you go.


Receipts must be submitted before the payment will be authorized. All travel receipts are due within 14 days of trip completion.  Original receipts or electronic submissions are acceptable.


Academic Personnel